Today, people are more transient, especially if they are younger. As the workplace becomes more virtual or hybrid, more and more people are not tied down to one specific location. Because of this, more people are taking their life “on the road.”
Additionally, in recent years, people no longer see themselves staying at the same company for years to come. As the dynamics of society's personal and professional life change, so does the frequency of change.
Whatever reason they may have for a change, when someone leaves a company or decides to move, it is an excellent idea to celebrate the role they played. One great way to do this is through a group goodbye card.
What is a Goodbye Card?
A goodbye card is another name for your traditional farewell card. Whether handmade, bought, or created virtually, a goodbye card is a card with a message of good wishes and farewells given to someone as they move on to their next step.
A goodbye card is an opportunity to express appreciation and say farewell. Like other cards, a goodbye card is a vehicle for expressing gratitude and appreciation. It is your chance to honor the memories and contributions that person brought to your life or organization.
Types of Goodbye Cards
There are many different types of goodbye cards to fit your needs. To know which one best fits the circumstance, ask yourself the following questions:
- How quickly do you need it?
- How many people will be signing it?
- Do you want to be creative?
- Do you value convenience in selecting a card?
After answering these questions, you will better understand what type of goodbye card would be best for your goodbye. Now, it is time to look at the various styles.
Here are some of the types of goodbye cards to choose from:
Get out the glitter pens and construction paper; it’s time to channel your inner Bob Ross. A handmade card is, as it sounds, made entirely by you. If you are not an artist but still want to make something handmade, there are digital design programs to help you make a card.
An e-card is defined as a digital version of a greeting card. The recipient receives these via a link. An e-card can be created on various online platforms. They provide ease, convenience, and speed to the card-giving process.
It’s a thoughtful and heartfelt way to show a someone how much they’re cared about and appreciated! Learn more
Store Greeting Card
A store greeting card is one of those cards you find in an aisle of your local grocery store. These come ready for you. You only need to pick one, purchase it, and sign.
Printed Poster or Book
Who said goodbye cards have to be small? Posters are perfect for when you want to display the goodbye card. Printing a goodbye card as a poster or a book provides an easy way to read goodbye messages.
Online Group Card
An online group card, like Kudoboard, is an e-card that adds convenience to gathering farewell messages from a group. Instead of sending a card around the office or from person to person, Kudoboard allows you to easily create and collect goodbye messages from multiple people, no matter where they are.
When to Use a Goodbye Card
Starting a new job, moving, or taking on new responsibilities is exciting but can also be scary. A lot changes for someone as they take the next step in accomplishing their goals. Even if they are off to their dream job or moving somewhere they always wished to live; a goodbye card can be a great way to give them a bit of confidence as their life changes.
But when are the times you should use a goodbye card? The answer is simple: anytime you wish to say goodbye in writing. Now, a goodbye card isn’t probably the best thing to use for a breakup, but it can be used anytime you wish to honor someone with a well-thought-out farewell.
Circumstances adding a goodbye card is a good idea:
- Someone is moving
- Someone finishes an activity or sport
- A colleague finds a new job
- A coworker retires
- To a teacher, when a class ends
How to Create a Goodbye Card
If you decide to create a goodbye e-card, you might feel overwhelmed with where to begin. Not to worry, Kudoboard makes creating a group goodbye e-card easy. You will have a unique, personalized card ready to fill with photos, videos, and meaningful messages in just a few steps.
Here are the steps to creating a goodbye ecard:
- Create a goodbye ecard: Select a theme and background. Ensure the card's title is clear so the card's purpose is clear.
- Write a message: Be the first one to write a goodbye message. Doing so will set the standard of what messages can look like. On a Kudoboard goodbye ecard, your message can include videos, photos, and GIFs.
- Collect signatures: Send out the link to the group ecard for others to contribute. The link to the card can be sent out via email, Slack, social media, or any other messaging platform.
- Add a gift card: A gift can be a great addition to your farewell card. A Kudoboard group goodbye ecard provides the option to add crowd-funded gift cards to your group ecard.
- Send the card: When you have written your farewell message, had everyone sign who wished to sign, and maybe added a small gift, it is time to send it. The recipient can receive it in a variety of ways:
What to Say in a Goodbye Card
After doing all the work to create the card, it’s time to sign it. At this point, you might feel that creating it was much easier than knowing what to write. It can be difficult to give words to how you feel about someone, especially when they are about to leave.
The most important thing to remember is that a goodbye card message is your opportunity to express appreciation for who they are and their impact on your life. Your message can be a chance to say good wishes, express gratitude, or recount a meaningful memory you had with them.
No matter your relationship or how close you were to the person, a well-thought-out and positive farewell message will give them more confidence heading into their next adventure.
Here are some message ideas to get you started:
Goodbye Messages for a Colleague:
- “It was great to have you on our team.”
- “I’ll miss your positive attitude.”
- “You have been a valuable member of the team.”
- “Congratulations on your new job! I am sad to see you go.”
- “It’s not going to be the same around here without you. Your contributions and expertise have been invaluable to the team.”
Goodbye Messages for Retirement:
- “One Question: Can you take me with you?”
- “I am so happy you finally got the job you always wanted. Happy Retirement”
- “Goodbye tension and hello pension! Congratulations!”
- “Your Retirement is well deserved. Thanks for all you have done over the years.”
- “After all you’ve done for us, it’s only fair to let the rest of the world get their turn. Best of luck!”
Funny Goodbye Messages:
- “I assume your office is up for grabs now?”
- “I sure am going to miss you. Now, who’s going to pick up all my slack?”
- “Congratulations on your great escape. Best of luck at your new job.”
- “I’ll never forget you, [insert wrong name].”
- “I don’t know of a deeper pain than watching a friend leave… especially a friend who pays for my meals.”
Goodbye Messages for a Boss:
- “Thank you for believing in me and challenging me to do my best.”
- “I will always remember the support you have given me.”
- “Thank you for mentoring me the last ___ years. I appreciate your willingness to teach.”
- “You are a great leader. You will be missed.”
- “I wouldn’t be where I am today without your mentorship. Thanks for being such a great leader.”
Goodbye Messages for a Friend:
- “I am so grateful I got to know you. Keep in touch.”
- “I’ll miss our adventures and chats. Good luck!.”
- “You have been a true friend through thick and thin. I’ll miss you dearly.”
- “Thank you for all that you have done for me. I can’t wait to come and visit you.”
- “I’ll miss you, but I am excited to see what the future holds.”
Goodbye Messages for Someone Moving:
- “I hope you have a spare bedroom for me to stay in. I will miss you.”
- “You’re about to show everyone in the new city what a strong and loving person is.”
- “May your new city bring you new opportunities and your favorite restaurant.”
- “The neighborhood just won't be the same without you.”
- “Distance doesn’t matter when a bond is this strong. Keep in touch.”
Don’t Be Afraid to Say Goodbye
Saying farewell can be challenging. It comes with a host of feelings that are hard to accept. Because of that, you might feel tempted to avoid saying goodbye, but it is essential to do so in the end. Offering our best wishes, expressing appreciation, and saying goodbye provides closure for both parties.
Though change is hard to accept, why not create a memorable goodbye card they can reflect on for years? A card full of memories and photos to help you both through the upcoming transition.