The Golden Birthday is a fun celebration for a birthday that corresponds with the date of a birthday to the age a person is turning. For example, if your birthday is March 10th, your golden birthday is at 10 years old. A birthday on the 25th? Your golden birthday would be when you turn 25. Today we’ll chat a bit about where the tradition of golden birthdays comes from, some ideas for a fun and thematic golden themed celebration, as well as some gift ideas for milestone birthdays. Ready? Set? Celebrate!
It’s a thoughtful and heartfelt way to show a loved one how much they’re cared about and appreciated! Learn more
Golden Birthday History Lesson
The origin of the Golden Birthday is up for debate, but it’s believed that American author Joan Bramsch is the originator of the concept when she publicly celebrated her children’s golden birthdays in the 1950’s. The idea caught on and became popular.
Additionally, the golden birthday is considered especially lucky and special since it only occurs once in a lifetime.
And if you’re over the age of 31 and are feeling sad you may have missed your golden birthday, have no fear! Turning the age of your birth year is considered a Platinum Birthday. So if you’re born in 1980, get ready to party it up on your 80th birthday!
Golden Birthdays Are Meant To Be Celebrated!
So now we’re clear on what a golden birthday is, so how can we celebrate this momentous event? With a golden birthday party of course! Here are some tips and suggestions to make your birthday bash the once in a lifetime event it really is!
- A gold-embellished Kudoboard! Admittedly we’re biased around here, but Kudoboard features tons of outlines, designs, and backgrounds to spread some golden birthday cheer!
- All Gold Outfits: Request guests where as much gold as they can. Bling it on, baby! I am loving this wide variety of gold themed party invitations.
- Golden decor! Check out this fun cake topper, personalized gold balloons, and decorative banner. And of course it wouldn’t really be a true golden birthday party without some gold glitter confetti.
- Golden Hued Eats and Treats: How about caramel popcorn, gold foil chocolates (Godiva, anyone?), Goldfish crackers, Twinkies, or my personal favorite, Golden Grahams Bars ?
- A Gold Medal Gathering: Plan an Olympics-themed bash complete with obstacle courses, games and fun, and of course some gold medals! Here are some great Olympic themed party games.
- A Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Fete: Don’t forget about the classic Golden Ticket! Include a chocolate fountain, chocolate making, and of course, pop some golden popcorn and watch the movie (I’m partial to the 1971 version).
- Pop some bottles! Champagne, is of course, a golden color and the bubbly deliciousness is the perfect beverage for celebrating. This post about putting together the ultimate champagne bar definitely got my wheels turning!
The possibilities for a gleaming golden birthday party are limitless!
Golden Birthday Gifts
A golden birthday is the perfect occasion for some themed birthday gifts! Check out these ideas.
- Gift some (actual) Gold: A golden birthday is the perfect occasion to gift some gold jewelry. This Alex and Ani Birthday Bangle is so cute. A dainty gold initial necklace is a perfect gift for this sparkly occasion.
- Gold Perfume by Commodity: This perfume has great reviews and fits right along with the theme! If this particular perfume isn’t your jam, there are plenty of beautiful gold bottles of perfume for a scent-sational golden birthday gift.
- Gold Wireless PS4 Controller: I cannot think of a better golden birthday gift for the gamer in your life than this stylish controller. This is a practical gift, but it features that thematic golden flair we’re going for. Perfect!
- How about a Golden Girls gift set? This classic show makes a great gift theme for a golden birthday. I found some fun Golden Girls goodies for you, like these shot glasses, ankle socks, Golden Girls Clue, and this hilarious Sophia planter. Be warned that your gift giving prowess might result in a spontaneous rendition of “Thank You For Being a Friend.”
Milestone Birthday Celebration Ideas
Now, what if your golden birthday also happens to be a milestone birthday year as well? That means the celebration must be extra glittering golden and special! Here are some awesome gift ideas for those big birthday years!
All That Glitters Is Gold
Whether you’re planning a golden birthday bash for your kiddo, looking for a gift for a milestone birthday, or are patiently waiting for your Platinum Birthday, Kudoboard is here to help you make every day memorable. Creating a Kudoboard for a loved one is the icing on the sparkly shiny golden birthday cake! Cheers to a once in a lifetime golden birthday celebration and Happy Birthday from Kudoboard!